Stunning high-end sound and incredible versatility are hallmarks of this top-of-the-line, tube-driven channel strip. The ADL 700 integrates a proven, award-winning, boutique-quality preamp; a custom-designed FET compressor; and a custom, four-band, semi-parametric EQ.
Beyond superb sound quality, the ADL 700’s preamp is special because of its ease of use and flexibility.
Among the hallmark features of ADL-series preamps are separate, balanced XLR mic, balanced XLR line, and ¼” TS instrument inputs and a single, balanced XLR output. An Input Source Select switch enables you to leave your signal sources connected at all times and choose among sources, patching the selected input through the signal chain and completely bypassing the other two inputs.
The preamp offers a choice of four mic-input impedances: 1500Ω, 900Ω, 300Ω, and 150Ω. Lowering or raising the ADL 700 mic-input impedance can create subtle coloring and filtering effects, enabling you to get a wider variety of tonalities without using the EQ.
In addition, the ADL 700 provides variable mic-input gain, employing an 8-position, military-grade, rotary switch that provides 35 dB of gain in stepped, 5 dB increments. A Trim potentiometer (±30 dB) allows you to make fine adjustments to the final preamp stage of the ADL 700 input.
The output stage is controlled by a fully variable attenuator that delivers ±10 dB of fine-tune trim adjustment, enabling you to dial in the perfect gain structure for any application.
The ADL 700’s FET (Field-Effect Transistor) compressor includes fully variable attack, release, threshold, ratio, makeup gain, and bypass controls. The compressors of two ADL 700s can be stereo linked allowing for more accurate stereo imaging. The ADL 700 compressor has a “soft knee” compression curve.
The ADL 700’s 4-band semi-parametric EQ was designed to match the preamp and compressor. It combines isolated filters and optimized, per-band Q to provide subtle signal-shaping without harsh artifacts.
- 1 unbalanced ¼” instrument input (front panel)
- 1 transformer-balanced XLR line input
- 1 transformer-balanced XLR mic input
- 1 transformer-balanced XLR line output
- High-voltage, all-tube, Class A, dual-transformer design with one 12AT7 and two 6922 vacuum tubes
- Input-source select switch
- Variable microphone input impedance (150, 300, 900, 1,500Ω)
- 8-position Gain switch
- Variable Trim adjustment for final stage
Fully variable FET compressor
- Attack, release, threshold, ratio, makeup gain
- Bypass switch
- Stereo link
Four-band, semi-parametric EQ with bypass
- Two peak mid bands
- High and low bands switchable peak/shelving
- Overlapping frequency ranges
- Fixed Q (0.55)
- Switchable pre-/post-compressor
- Bypass switch
Meters, Controls, and Other Features
- Ultra-low noise (-100 dB S/N ratio) and high gain (>73 dB gain)
- Dual-mode analog VU metering (output and gain reduction)
- -6 dB meter-offset switch (for metering hot signals)
- Variable high-pass filter (20, 40, 80, 200 Hz)
- 48V phantom power
- Polarity-invert switch
- -20 dB pad
- 2U 19” rack-mountable, rugged steel chassis
- Internal power supply with standard IEC connector
- Chassis-ground link connectors (lift chassis ground)