The Kastle Drum is a special edition of Bastl’s classic mini modular synth focusing on algorithmic industrial glitchy drums.
Kastle was originally released in Fall 2016 and gained instant popularity as an affordable, pocket-sized modular synth. It received a lot of feedback and introduced a much improved version v1.5 a year later. Now Bastl Instruments have revisited the concept once again with an alternative way to operate the same hardware.
The design process gave birth to a seemingly limited, but in fact an innovative and quite playful take on a rhythm box that is using some novel concepts, like the dynamic acceleration envelope to build “a lot of dynamic rhythm” out of very little modulation.
Drum sound synthesis with a unique dynamic acceleration charged envelope makes this rhythm box surprisingly versatile and extremely fun to play. The built-in VC clock generator with a stepped pattern sequencer can either run on its own or it can be synchronized to analog clock, while retaining the triangle LFO for parameter modulation.
The Kastle Drum is a mini modular synthesizer with a headphone output, 2 in/out ports for interfacing other gear, and it runs on just 3 AA batteries. It is ideal for beginners in modular synthesis, but it will add some quite unique functionality to any modular synthesizer system. It delivers the fun of modular synthesis at a low price and fits into your pocket so you can play it anywhere!
Kastle is an open source project with all resources obtainable from GitHub.
- 8 drum synthesis styles
- ”noises” output for less tonal content
- DRUM selects drum sounds
- acceleration charge dynamic envelope
- decay time
- PITCH control with offset and CV input with attenuator
- voltage-controllable clock with square and triangle output
- stepped voltage generator with random, 8 step and 16 step loop mode
- 2 I/O CV ports that can be routed to any patch point
- the main output can drive headphones
- 3x AA battery operation or USB power selectable by a switch
- open source
- durable black & gold PCB enclosure
What’s in the box
- Kastle synthesizer
- 10 patch cables
- batteries not included