Buchla Music Easel 50th Anniversary Edition - Iconic. Revolutionary. Mind-expanding.
Strictly limited edition synthesizer
Taking cues from the original from 1973, the Anniversary Easel is built into a powder blue aluminum case, with gold keys on the 218 touch surface, Rogan knobs, and a wealth of unique surprises. This unique piece will never be made again!
The Buchla Music Easel was one of the first truly portable electronic music instruments. Fifty years ago, in 1973, only a few dozen were made. Unlike many iconic technologies, the influence was not grown through force of scale, but rather the force of the ideas. The Music Easel made available virtually every musical dimension: timbre, melody, rhythm, and time; how these dimensions intersected was no longer the court of acoustics and material, but signals and voltage. The 208 Stored Program Sound Source engendered “a new functional organization [with a] particularly rapid system of patching and program storage via plug-in cards.”
The 218 touch plate was for “real-time communication” to help realize the “potential vocabulary” of the Easel, rather than exploiting existing modes of musical virtuosity. The Stored Program Cards ensured rapid repeatability and repertoire on its own terms. The battery terminals made sure the music was as portable as any acoustic instrument. And the name let you know it was designed for art rather than science.
More than a retro novelty, the Music Easel still speaks to a future we strive for. A technology that invites conversation, not chats, and controls that engage expression, not work. There are many new worlds to explore in this instrument created at the crossroads of the jazz and computer ages. Designed as “an integrated assemblage of functions“, rather than a collection of modules, the Music Easel’s color coding, comfortable access to controls, and solid patch connections allow for satisfying sessions of sonic discovery.
The 50th Anniversary Collector’s Edition will only be made in the quantity ordered from July 1 to July 31 with expected delivery in late fall/early winter 2023.
Buchla Music Easel 50th anniversary:
Taking cues from the original from 1973, the Anniversary Easel is built into a powder blue aluminum case, with gold keys on the 218 touch surface, Rogan knobs, and a wealth of unique surprises - This unique piece will never be made again.
Manufacturing will occur in July and once that run is done, it's done. A true Buchla collectors piece.
The anniversary Easel will be incredibly limited worldwide and will be built to order.
- Vintage Easel styling, comes in a real Halliburton suitcase
- Limited run gold 218E controller keyboard
- Vintage style Rogan knobs
- True to era output VU & leather trims
- Will ship with a whole host of added goodies & limited edition collectors items
- Limited Edition Easel Weasel silkscreen print (24” x 15”) signed and numbered by the original artist Jim Phillips
- 12” LP of Electric Weasel Ensemble from Important Records in a unique vinyl colour
- Hardcover Edition of Allen Strange’s “Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls”
- Collector’s book that includes a reprint of original 1974 “Easel Operating Directive” manual by Allen Strange and writings by original Electric Weasel Ensemble member Stephen Ruppenthal and others.
- Special edition artist-designed Retro Preset cards from artists including Todd Barton, Suzanne Ciani, and others. Featuring new, unique graphics on each card.
- Program Manager loaded with presets as described in original 1974 Easel Directive.